Our History

1882 - The Government of Sir Bryan O’Loghlen introduces a Dental Bill to the colony of Victoria.  It fails due to pressure of work on the minority government.

1884 - Odontological Society of Victoria is formed in Melbourne.  Carl Koller introduces Cocaine as a local anaesthetic.

1885 - Dr J.M. Rose, MLA for North Melbourne introduces a Private Member’s Bill for the registration of Dentists but it fails.  He re-introduces the Bill in 1886 but it again fails.

1887 - Dr J. M. Rose re-introduces a modified Private Members Bill which is passed and the Dental Board of Victoria is established.

1890 - 
John Iliffe and members of the Odontological Society of Victoria oversee the establishment of a Dental Hospital in Lonsdale Street, Melbourne.

1896 - G.V. Black establishes the principles of cavity preparation.  The first dental bill is presented to the Victorian Parliament.

1897 - The Australian College of Dentistry was formed and was located at 239 Lonsdale Street, before subsequently relocating to 189a-191 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne.  Publication of the Australian Journal of Dentistry commences in Melbourne.

1898 - Victorian Dentists Law Amendment Act passed.

1900 - Federation Dentaire Internationale (FDI) was founded.

1901 - Sydney University Dental Hospital commenced operation.

1902 - Victorian Dental Board registers the first 13 successful candidates who fulfill the requirements of the Licentiate of Dental Surgery (LDS), issued by the Australian College of Dentistry

1904 - The Australian College of Dentistry is affiliated with the University of Melbourne.  The Faculty of Dentistry is created by the University to govern the curriculum of the College.

1907 - First Australian Dental Congress is held in Sydney.  Australian College of Dentistry and Dental Hospital relocate to 193 Spring Street, Melbourne.

1910 - Victorian Dental Amendment Act passed.  Dental Graduates Society formed in Melbourne.

1911 - First Federal Council Meeting of the National Dental Association in held in Melbourne.

1914 - Dental Graduates Society of Victoria proposes the establishment of a Chair of Dental Science at Melbourne University and the integration of the Australian College of Dentistry into the University.  Australian College of Dentistry Alumni Society is formed.

1915 - Victorian Dental Acts of 1898 and 1910 consolidated into Part Two of the Victorian Medical Act

1916 - Dental Graduates Society of Victoria and Australian College of Dentistry Alumni Society merge.

1920 - The Odontological Society of Victoria and the Australian College of Dentistry Alumni Society amalgamate to form the State Dental Society of Victoria.  The University of Melbourne Council resolves to establish a Chair of Dental Science.

1924 - First Chair of Dental Science at the University of Melbourne is established and Dr F C Wilkinson is appointed as the first Professor of the College.

1925 - The Australian College of Dentistry and the Melbourne Dental Hospital became separate entities.  They continued to occupy and share facilities in the same building in Spring Street.  The Australian Dental Trade Association was formed.

1927 - Victorian Dental Act 1927 is adopted.


1928 - The National Dental Association is wound up and the Australian Dental Association formed.  The Australian Dental Association Victorian Branch (ADAVB), occupies a one-person office in the T&G Building, Collins Street, Melbourne.  Victorian Dental Act 1927 is consolidated as Part 2 of the new Medical Act.

1929 - Publication of the Dental Journal of Australia commences in Sydney

1935 - The Dental Metallographical Research Laboratory is established as part of the Faculty of Dental Science, University of Melbourne.

1936 - The degree of Master of Dental Science is established in Victoria.  It becomes a prerequisite for the degree of Doctor of Dental Science which can now be obtained by thesis only.

1947 - Publication of the Queensland Dental Journal commences Dental Materials Research Laboratory transferred to the control of the Commonwealth Department of Health and re-named the Commonwealth Bureau of Dental Standards.

1951 - The Dentists’ Benevolent Fund is established in Victoria.

1955 - The ADAVB purchases 49 Mathoura Road, Toorak.

1956 - Publication of the Australian Journal of Dentistry, Dental Journal of Australia and the Queensland Dental Journal ceases and is replaced by the Australian Dental Journal.

1957 - Use of the high speed turbine handpiece is introduced.

1958 - Professor Henry Atkinson proposes the introduction of fluoridation via the Dental Hospital.

1959 - Fluoride toothpaste is marketed in Britain.  The inaugural meeting of the ADAVB's Professional Provident Fund is held.

1961 - The Australian Section of the International Association of Dental Research is established

1962 - Australian College of Dentistry requests that all existing College staff be transferred to the control University of Melbourne.

1963 - Control of Australian College of Dentistry staff is transferred to the University of Melbourne.  Melbourne Dental Hospital and the University of Melbourne Dental Faculty move from 193 Spring Street to 711 Elizabeth Street.

1964-1968 - A Ministerial Inquiry into the Melbourne Dental Hospital is conducted.  This led to the requirement that hospital staff teach in the Dental School for the next 30 years.

1967 - Australian College of Dentistry is formally wound up and the freehold of the Spring Street building is given to the Victorian Government.

1972 - A new Victiorian entists Act 1972 is enacted.  Courtesy title “Dr” is adopted in Victoria then spreads to other states.

1973 - The Health (Fluoridation) Act 1973 is enacted in Victoria.  The first Federation Dentaire Internationale (FDI) Congress to be held in Australia is conducted in Sydney.  Commonwealth Bureau of Dental Standards changed its name to Australian Dental Standards Laboratory.

1977 - Melbourne’s drinking water becomes fluoridated.  White composite filling material for posterior teeth is introduced.

1980 - Identification of the AIDS virus during the 1980’s led to a new emphasis on infection control in surgery.

1982 - The Australian Dental Trade Association becomes incorporated and changes its name to the Australian Dental Industry Association Inc.

1985 - The Australian Dental Standards Laboratory is abolished.

1986 - The first commercial units for CAD-CAM dentistry were produced and sold in Germany

1989 - The University of Melbourne merges the Faculty of Dentistry with the Faculty of Medicine to create a new Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.

1990 - The Australian Dental Association Victorian Branch is incorporated and changes its name to the Australian Dental Association Victorian Branch Inc.  Dental lasers are introduced.

1991 - Extensions and renovations to the ADAVB’s Headquarters at Mathoura Road are officially opened by Dr John Wark.  The University of Melbourne expands the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry and changes its name to the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences.

1992 - The Australian Dental Council is formed on 11 December and officially inaugurated on 10 March 1993.

1993 - The ADAVB’s Constitution is changed so that the term of office for Council and office bearers is from July to June.

1996 - Dental Therapy and Hygiene training commences at the University of Melbourne.  The ADAVB and the University of Melbourne, School of Dental Science sign an agreement to cooperate in the conduct of a Certificate of Professional Development.

1999 - The Victorian Dental Practice Act 1999 is adopted and enacted to take effect from 1 July 2000.

2000 - A national tender process is conducted for a professional indemnity insurer, and the ADAVB joins other Australian States in shifting from the Medical Protection Society (Dental Protection Ltd) to Guild Insurance Ltd.

2004 - Agreement is reached between the ADAVB and the University of New England (UNE Partnerships) to offer a co-badged Certificate IV in Practice Management.  ADAVB reaches an agreement with the University of Melbourne to co-badge a new Continuing Professional Development program.

2005 - Victorian Health Professions Registration Act 2005 is adopted and is enacted from 1 July 2007. The ADAVB News Post Blog was launched by the ADAVB on 27 September.

2008 - The ADAVB sells 49 Mathoura Road, Toorak and purchases Level 3, 10 Yarra Street, South Yarra.  The Branch relocates to Yarra Street.

1882 - The Government of Sir Bryan O’Loghlen introduces a Dental Bill to the colony of Victoria.  It fails due to pressure of work on the minority government.

1884 - Odontological Society of Victoria is formed in Melbourne.  Carl Koller introduces Cocaine as a local anaesthetic.

1885 - Dr J.M. Rose, MLA for North Melbourne introduces a Private Member’s Bill for the registration of Dentists but it fails.  He re-introduces the Bill in 1886 but it again fails.

1887 - Dr J. M. Rose re-introduces a modified Private Members Bill which is passed and the Dental Board of Victoria is established.

1890 - 
John Iliffe and members of the Odontological Society of Victoria oversee the establishment of a Dental Hospital in Lonsdale Street, Melbourne.

1896 - G.V. Black establishes the principles of cavity preparation.  The first dental bill is presented to the Victorian Parliament.

1897 - The Australian College of Dentistry was formed and was located at 239 Lonsdale Street, before subsequently relocating to 189a-191 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne.  Publication of the Australian Journal of Dentistry commences in Melbourne.

1898 - Victorian Dentists Law Amendment Act passed.

1900 - Federation Dentaire Internationale (FDI) was founded.

1901 - Sydney University Dental Hospital commenced operation.

1902 - Victorian Dental Board registers the first 13 successful candidates who fulfill the requirements of the Licentiate of Dental Surgery (LDS), issued by the Australian College of Dentistry

1904 - The Australian College of Dentistry is affiliated with the University of Melbourne.  The Faculty of Dentistry is created by the University to govern the curriculum of the College.

1907 - First Australian Dental Congress is held in Sydney.  Australian College of Dentistry and Dental Hospital relocate to 193 Spring Street, Melbourne.

1910 - Victorian Dental Amendment Act passed.  Dental Graduates Society formed in Melbourne.

1911 - First Federal Council Meeting of the National Dental Association in held in Melbourne.

1914 - Dental Graduates Society of Victoria proposes the establishment of a Chair of Dental Science at Melbourne University and the integration of the Australian College of Dentistry into the University.  Australian College of Dentistry Alumni Society is formed.

1915 - Victorian Dental Acts of 1898 and 1910 consolidated into Part Two of the Victorian Medical Act

1916 - Dental Graduates Society of Victoria and Australian College of Dentistry Alumni Society merge.

1920 - The Odontological Society of Victoria and the Australian College of Dentistry Alumni Society amalgamate to form the State Dental Society of Victoria.  The University of Melbourne Council resolves to establish a Chair of Dental Science.

1924 - First Chair of Dental Science at the University of Melbourne is established and Dr F C Wilkinson is appointed as the first Professor of the College.

1925 - The Australian College of Dentistry and the Melbourne Dental Hospital became separate entities.  They continued to occupy and share facilities in the same building in Spring Street.  The Australian Dental Trade Association was formed.

1927 - Victorian Dental Act 1927 is adopted.


1928 - The National Dental Association is wound up and the Australian Dental Association formed.  The Australian Dental Association Victorian Branch (ADAVB), occupies a one-person office in the T&G Building, Collins Street, Melbourne.  Victorian Dental Act 1927 is consolidated as Part 2 of the new Medical Act.

1929 - Publication of the Dental Journal of Australia commences in Sydney

1935 - The Dental Metallographical Research Laboratory is established as part of the Faculty of Dental Science, University of Melbourne.

1936 - The degree of Master of Dental Science is established in Victoria.  It becomes a prerequisite for the degree of Doctor of Dental Science which can now be obtained by thesis only.

1947 - Publication of the Queensland Dental Journal commences Dental Materials Research Laboratory transferred to the control of the Commonwealth Department of Health and re-named the Commonwealth Bureau of Dental Standards.

1951 - The Dentists’ Benevolent Fund is established in Victoria.

1955 - The ADAVB purchases 49 Mathoura Road, Toorak.

1956 - Publication of the Australian Journal of Dentistry, Dental Journal of Australia and the Queensland Dental Journal ceases and is replaced by the Australian Dental Journal.

1957 - Use of the high speed turbine handpiece is introduced.

1958 - Professor Henry Atkinson proposes the introduction of fluoridation via the Dental Hospital.

1959 - Fluoride toothpaste is marketed in Britain.  The inaugural meeting of the ADAVB's Professional Provident Fund is held.

1961 - The Australian Section of the International Association of Dental Research is established

1962 - Australian College of Dentistry requests that all existing College staff be transferred to the control University of Melbourne.

1963 - Control of Australian College of Dentistry staff is transferred to the University of Melbourne.  Melbourne Dental Hospital and the University of Melbourne Dental Faculty move from 193 Spring Street to 711 Elizabeth Street.

1964-1968 - A Ministerial Inquiry into the Melbourne Dental Hospital is conducted.  This led to the requirement that hospital staff teach in the Dental School for the next 30 years.

1967 - Australian College of Dentistry is formally wound up and the freehold of the Spring Street building is given to the Victorian Government.

1972 - A new Victiorian entists Act 1972 is enacted.  Courtesy title “Dr” is adopted in Victoria then spreads to other states.

1973 - The Health (Fluoridation) Act 1973 is enacted in Victoria.  The first Federation Dentaire Internationale (FDI) Congress to be held in Australia is conducted in Sydney.  Commonwealth Bureau of Dental Standards changed its name to Australian Dental Standards Laboratory.

1977 - Melbourne’s drinking water becomes fluoridated.  White composite filling material for posterior teeth is introduced.

1980 - Identification of the AIDS virus during the 1980’s led to a new emphasis on infection control in surgery.

1982 - The Australian Dental Trade Association becomes incorporated and changes its name to the Australian Dental Industry Association Inc.

1985 - The Australian Dental Standards Laboratory is abolished.

1986 - The first commercial units for CAD-CAM dentistry were produced and sold in Germany

1989 - The University of Melbourne merges the Faculty of Dentistry with the Faculty of Medicine to create a new Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.

1990 - The Australian Dental Association Victorian Branch is incorporated and changes its name to the Australian Dental Association Victorian Branch Inc.  Dental lasers are introduced.

1991 - Extensions and renovations to the ADAVB’s Headquarters at Mathoura Road are officially opened by Dr John Wark.  The University of Melbourne expands the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry and changes its name to the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences.

1992 - The Australian Dental Council is formed on 11 December and officially inaugurated on 10 March 1993.

1993 - The ADAVB’s Constitution is changed so that the term of office for Council and office bearers is from July to June.

1996 - Dental Therapy and Hygiene training commences at the University of Melbourne.  The ADAVB and the University of Melbourne, School of Dental Science sign an agreement to cooperate in the conduct of a Certificate of Professional Development.

1999 - The Victorian Dental Practice Act 1999 is adopted and enacted to take effect from 1 July 2000.

2000 - A national tender process is conducted for a professional indemnity insurer, and the ADAVB joins other Australian States in shifting from the Medical Protection Society (Dental Protection Ltd) to Guild Insurance Ltd.

2004 - Agreement is reached between the ADAVB and the University of New England (UNE Partnerships) to offer a co-badged Certificate IV in Practice Management.  ADAVB reaches an agreement with the University of Melbourne to co-badge a new Continuing Professional Development program.

2005 - Victorian Health Professions Registration Act 2005 is adopted and is enacted from 1 July 2007. The ADAVB News Post Blog was launched by the ADAVB on 27 September.

2008 - The ADAVB sells 49 Mathoura Road, Toorak and purchases Level 3, 10 Yarra Street, South Yarra.  The Branch relocates to Yarra Street.

Ancient History

2650 BC - Hesy-Re, an Egyptian scribe, often called the first dentist.  Inside his burial chamber, inscriptions say, “the greatest of those who deal with teeth [chief toother], and of the physicians.”

500 BC - Hippocrates accurately described a technique for reducing a fracture of the jaw and replacing a dislocated mandible.  He also mentions extraction forceps.

300 BC - Aristotle was the first to make a study of the comparative anatomy of teeth and mentioned the extraction (pulling) of teeth with forceps.  He also stated that figs and soft sweets produce decay.

249 AD - St. Apollonia, the patron saint of dentistry, had her teeth extracted in Alexandria.  Her saint day is commemorated on February 9th.

1130-1163 - Monks became surgeons and dentists.  A series of Papal edicts prohibit monks from performing any type of surgery, bloodletting or tooth extraction.  Barbers assumed the monks duties.

1386 - French surgeon Guy de Chauliac writes Chirurgia Magna.  Some space is devoted to pathology and therapeutics of the teeth.  Chauliac was first to coin the term dentator and dentists.  The English term dentist comes from his original terms.

1530 - Artzney Bucklein writes the first book devoted entirely to dentistry in Germany.

1685 - The first dental book written in English - The Operator for the Teeth by Charles Allen is published.

1723 - Pierre Fauchard, considered to be the Father of Modern Dentistry, publishes The Surgeon Dentist: a Treatise on Teeth

1780 - 
William Addis manufactured the first modern toothbrush.

1790 - John Greenwood, one of George Washington’s dentists, constructs the first known dental foot engine.  He adapts a foot treadle spinning wheel to rotate a dental drill.

1820 - Claudius Ash established his dental manufacturing company in London.

1831 - James Snell designed the first reclining dental chair.

1840 - Horace Hayden and Chapin Harris establish the world’s first dental school in the United States – the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery.

1843 - British Dental Journal commences publication.

1844 - Horace Wells demonstrated nitrous oxide as an anaesthetic.

1846 - WTG Moreton demonstrated ether as an anaesthetic.

1859 - American Dental Association is formed.

1880 - British Dental Association is formed.

2650 BC - Hesy-Re, an Egyptian scribe, often called the first dentist.  Inside his burial chamber, inscriptions say, “the greatest of those who deal with teeth [chief toother], and of the physicians.”

500 BC - Hippocrates accurately described a technique for reducing a fracture of the jaw and replacing a dislocated mandible.  He also mentions extraction forceps.

300 BC - Aristotle was the first to make a study of the comparative anatomy of teeth and mentioned the extraction (pulling) of teeth with forceps.  He also stated that figs and soft sweets produce decay.

249 AD - St. Apollonia, the patron saint of dentistry, had her teeth extracted in Alexandria.  Her saint day is commemorated on February 9th.

1130-1163 - Monks became surgeons and dentists.  A series of Papal edicts prohibit monks from performing any type of surgery, bloodletting or tooth extraction.  Barbers assumed the monks duties.

1386 - French surgeon Guy de Chauliac writes Chirurgia Magna.  Some space is devoted to pathology and therapeutics of the teeth.  Chauliac was first to coin the term dentator and dentists.  The English term dentist comes from his original terms.

1530 - Artzney Bucklein writes the first book devoted entirely to dentistry in Germany.

1685 - The first dental book written in English - The Operator for the Teeth by Charles Allen is published.

1723 - Pierre Fauchard, considered to be the Father of Modern Dentistry, publishes The Surgeon Dentist: a Treatise on Teeth

1780 - 
William Addis manufactured the first modern toothbrush.

1790 - John Greenwood, one of George Washington’s dentists, constructs the first known dental foot engine.  He adapts a foot treadle spinning wheel to rotate a dental drill.

1820 - Claudius Ash established his dental manufacturing company in London.

1831 - James Snell designed the first reclining dental chair.

1840 - Horace Hayden and Chapin Harris establish the world’s first dental school in the United States – the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery.

1843 - British Dental Journal commences publication.

1844 - Horace Wells demonstrated nitrous oxide as an anaesthetic.

1846 - WTG Moreton demonstrated ether as an anaesthetic.

1859 - American Dental Association is formed.

1880 - British Dental Association is formed.

Past Presidents
  
2015/16 S Liew
2014/15 B Cvetkovic
2013/14 J Cherry
2012/13 G S O Burt
2011/12 M S Hopcraft
2010/11 M A M Stewart
2009/10 A Harrison
2008/09 S M Cottrell
2007/08 M D Bowman
2006/07 G Morris
2005/06 C M Callahan
2004/05 S M Hanlin
2003/04 V Hardi
2002/03 D Curnow
2001/02 A J Barnes
2000/01 P S Dalgleish
1999/00 S D Gibbons
1998/99 G Condon
1997/98 J E Matthews
1996/97 A C Vincent
1995/96 G M Knight
1994/95 N D Hewson
1993/94 R P Green
1993 L S Doupe
1992 D S Houghton
1991 R K Newbury
1990 G L Tilley
1989 S C Warneke
1988 P W Field
1987 B E Taylor
1986 T Langford
1985 A Cattermole
1984 F Widdop
1983 S Warneke
1982 V West
1981 V Amerena
1980 B A Levant
1979 L O'Brien AO
1978 R Hardham
1977 D Loader
1976 R Milner
1975 J Harcourt
1974 R Purdue
1973 B Dooley
1972 E Kings
1971 I Gillies
1970 D T Ramsay
1969 L Williams
1968 S Kings
1967 J Lane
1966 B Drysdale
1965 C R Newbury
1964 R Cook
1963 N J Webster
1962 P Finch
1961 D G D Marks
1960 K S McDowall
1959 A Parker
1958 G Sutcliffe
1957 D F Spring
1956 W B Woodhouse
1955 Dr L Heine
1954 Dr L Newton
1953 A Leigh-Jones
1952 H Gibson
1951 R G Williams
1950 E H Johnson
1949 N H Andrews
1948 A R T Greenwood
1947 J S Mills
1946 J M Wark
1945 W S Wilkinson
1944 F A Aird
1943 W C Knight
1942 H E Willis
1941 H Kennan
1940 R G Williams
1939 W J Tuckfield
1938 F T Herbert
1937 A B P Amies
1936 A B P Amies
1935 K T Adamson
1934 W Adam
1933 S F Lumb
1932 F M Kiel
1931 A D Craven
1930 R M Gillies
1929 A Mason-Cox
Home    About Us    Join Us    For the Public    For Members    News & Advocacy    Resources